Manual Handling at Work
Manual Handling Operations Regulations ( MHOR ) 1992
Manual Handling includes the transporting or supporting a load. Furthermore, this includes the lifting, putting down, pushing, pulling, carrying or moving loads by hand or bodily force.
Why do I need training?
HSE reports that incorrect handling is one of the most common causes of injury at work. Consequently, it often leads to musculoskeletal disorders, which accounts for a third of all workplace injuries.
Every workplace or organisation has potentially harmful risks because you have to lift, pull or push an object.
Regulations require all employers to:.
Eliminate the need to lift or lower manually.
- Assess the risk of injury from any hazardous handling that can’t be avoided and therefore follow the necessary procedure.
- Reduce the risk of injury from hazardous manual handling where possible.
- Determine if heavy loads can be moved mechanically.
- Wear appropriate clothing and safe footwear.
Ensure the load does not block vision.
What units are covered within the course?
The course covers:.
- The anatomy of the spine.
- Causes of back pain.
- Returning to work after an injury.
- Moving and handling assessments.
- Principles of safer moving and handling.
- Unsafe systems at work.
- Equipment demonstrations.
- Manual handling and risk assessment.
Training your staff is a great way to reduce health and safety risks within your organisation. Therefore we provide the course and other short courses in a range of venues. The course is available in Manchester, Wigan, Liverpool, Leeds, Durham, Sheffield and Watford.
To discuss 3B Training delivering a manual handling course for your company click here.
Other Short Courses Available
Take a look at the short courses available the more you book the more you save:
- Abrasive Wheels
- Asbestos Awareness
- COSHH Awareness
- Sharps Awareness
- Fire Marshall
- Risk Assessment
- Safety Harness
- Safe Use Of Steps & Ladders
- Traffic Management
- Vehicle Banksman
- Working At Heights
Back to News View Our Courses