Construction & Utility Courses
The New Roads and Street Works Act require that workers who execute, work for, or on behalf of a utility company, is qualified for the activities being carried out.
Any street works site must have at least one qualified operative on-site at all times during works. The site must also have a qualified supervisor appointed to the site who can oversee the works. The supervisor need not be on-site at all times but must be able to adequately carry out the role.
The supervisor qualification does not replace or overrule the operative qualification and one person cannot cover both roles at the same time. The tutor will also provide written work in the course.
Who should attend the NRSWA Supervisor course?
Operatives who physically carry out the work on the roadways and highways attend the course.
Course Content of the NRSWA Supervisor
Courses also vary in their combinations of the units to provide delegates with the skills and knowledge to perform supervisory duties in accordance with the Street Works Act 1991.
Successful completion of the NRSWA Training course results in you gaining a City & Guild or CABWI (location dependent) certificate. They will receive a certificate for each unit and a Street Works Card; hence showing your units of competence. The card is valid for five years.
The course covers the following units:
- 001 – Location & avoidance of underground apparatus (can be attended as an individual course)
- 002 – Signing, lighting and guarding (can be attended as an individual course)
- 011 – Monitoring excavation in the highway
- 012 – Monitoring reinstatement & compaction of the backfill layer
- 013 – Monitoring reinstatement of sub and road base in a non-bituminous material
- 014 – Monitoring reinstatement of bituminous materials (may not be included in the course)
- 015 – Monitoring reinstatement of concrete slabs (may not be included in the course)
- 016 – Monitoring reinstatement of modular surfaces and concrete footways
Please note: not all units are completed at each centre. 3B Training provides further information.