Signing, Lighting and Guarding
NRSWA Signing, Lighting and Guarding is a training course that educates delegates on how to set out signs, cones, barriers and traffic lights on a new road and street works site in line with the New Roads & Street Works Act.
- Accredited training course.
- Flexible choice of units to complete.
- Learn how to operate/supervise signing, lighting and guarding.
- Practical elements included.
- Available to complete as an in-house course.
- CITB Grant Claimable
- Valid for five years.
Signing, Lighting & Guarding course content
What does the Signing, Lighting & Guarding course cover?
The course will cover the following subjects through a range of practical and classroom-based learning.
- Safety of workers and the general public when carrying out street works
- Maintaining the free movement of pedestrians and traffic whilst working.
- Complying with the restrictions of work
- Safe working practices
- The layout of barriers, warning notices, lamps, signs etc.
- Special measures – road closure, traffic diversion, portable lights
- Operating and positioning portable traffic lights and equipment.
- Plan out a site with detailed distances and dimensions in line with the relevant legislation.
- Making developmental decisions and producing a recommendation for action from a site plan.
- Monitor the surveying, setting up and taking down of a site.
On completion of the course, the delegate will have the relevant knowledge of the legal requirements surrounding their role. They will be able to follow the procedures to ensure that they supervise/operate a site correctly.
What is Required to Pass the Signing, Lighting & Guarding Course?
The course contains both theory and practical elements. The tutor delivers the theory element in a classroom, but the course is majority practical based. The tutor will assess your ability to conduct practical exercises effectively.
How long is the Signing, Lighting & Guarding course?
The course is delivered over one day of training.
Why should I take this course?
Operatives (Unit 2) or Supervisors (Unit 10) depending on which unit you complete, who work in the utilities and construction industries should attend this course.
Signing, Lighting and Guarding entry requirements
There are no formal entry requirements for this course. We ask that if we deliver the course at a site of your choice, that you have a suitable site to do so.
Where can I take this course?
We can organise in-company training for both Unit 2 and Unit 10 of the Signing, Lighting and Guarding course. We have arranged of partners across the country who can deliver the course on our behalf. For a quote, complete the in-house enquiry form on this page. All of our enquiries are quoted on a case by case basis depending on delegate numbers and location.
6-8 weeks after completion of the training, you will receive a certificate. You must renew your certificate after five years of completing the course.
Other NRSWA courses are available with 3B Training. Delegates may want to move on to attend the NRSWA Operative or the NRSWA Supervisor. They may also want to improve their knowledge of cable avoidance by attending the CAT and Genny / Cable Avoidance.
Is this course CITB Grant claimable?
Yes, companies who are CITB registered can claim £30 for each delegate who completes this course.