Construction Skills Accredited Courses -SMSTS
The SMSTS is a five day course and can be delivered on a weekly or day release basis. This course is more in depth than the Site Supervisors course. It will demonstrate how to meet the ever-increasing demand for evidence of sound health and safety management on site.
Successful candidates will gain knowledge in the Health and Safety at Work Act. As well as CDM Regulations 2015, site set-up, risk assessments/method statements and working at height. the course also covers scaffolding, electricity, excavations, demolition and confined spaces. You will also be made aware of any recent changes in accepted working practices and behavioral safety.
This course is assessed throughout the training. On the last day you must display a presentation in front of other group members. You will also complete an examination.
The course covers the following units:.
- An initiation to health and safety law and the duties, responsibilities and sanctions surrounding it.
- Explanation and overviews of construction legislation.
- The procedure of and accident on site and the process following the accident.
- Risk assessments.
- Managing contractors.
- Development of permit systems and safe systems of work.
- Communicating effectively.
- Awareness of human error.
- Motivating staff.
- Awareness of an organisation’s responsibilities and duties.
- Recognising the responsibility of the workforce.
- Safe system of work production.
- Planning health and safety for projects.
There are no formal entry requirements. However delegates must hold, or be about to hold, the role of a construction manager. The main requirement is that the delegate can speak and write well in English.
This course is ideal for Project Managers, Site Managers and Supervisors. As well as proprietors of small to medium sized companies. Client-based personnel would also benefit from attending this course.
The SMSTS certificate has to be renewed every five years by attending the SMSTS Refresher course.
Further qualifications include the NEBOSH Construction Certificate and the NVQ Level 6 Diploma in Construction Site Management.
To find out the further benefits of the course see our blog here.
The Site Safety Plus SMSTS course is available in all of our venues across the UK. Including Bolton, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Derby, Durham, Watford, Leeds and Hull.