CSCS Trainee Card Changes
CSCS has recently announced changes to the CSCS Trainee Card.
What is the CSCS Trainee Card?
Workers can use the CSCS Trainee card to attend site whilst pursuing a qualification in construction.
What do I need to apply for a CSCS card?
Before applying for a card you must fulfil the relevant criteria. Delegates must attend and pass the Health Safety and Environment Test and obtain the following:
The Trainee (Craft and Operative) Card
Trainees who are enrolled on an NVQ or SVQ but have not yet achieved the qualification can access the CSCS Red card. Trainee cards are not renewable and are valid for three years.
The Trainee Technical, Supervisory and Management (TSM) Card
If you are able to provide evidence of being currently enrolled in higher education for a recognised qualification in construction you can apply for this card. The card isn’t renewable and is valid for three years.
The changes have caused some confusion in the industry. They have allowed those attending to be accepted to apply for a card if they have a qualification on a course that is not based on a National Occupational Standard.
The SSSTS, SMSTS and NEBOSH are being mistaken as a qualification that meets the criteria. Therefore this is causing frustration from those who are trying to apply for a card. To avoid any more confusion the majority of the construction industry would like non-National Occupational Standard qualifications to not be accepted.
As of 1st August 2016, the below changes to Trainee Cards will be implemented.
- The CSCS card will be a Red card so it can be clearly defined as a Trainee card.
- The card will be available to use for 5 years and cannot be renewed.
- There will only be one type of Trainee card, so there will be no specific card for each occupation.
- Your occupation will not feature on the card at all; the card simply says “Trainee”.
- You must have completed the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test and also within a window of two years.
- SMSTS, SSSTS & NEBOSH General Certificate will not be accepted as qualification routes to the Trainee Card.
- You must complete your training before your card expires. On completion of your training, you will then need to upgrade to CSCS skilled card.
Which CSCS Card Do I Need?
For more information on which card will be the most relevant to you on completion take a look at “Which CSCS Card Do I Need?”Back to News View Our Courses