Medium Risk Confined Spaces
This Medium Risk Confined Spaces course is devised to give the delegate attending the knowledge to work in a Medium Risk confined space safely.
How long is the Medium Risk Confined Spaces course?
Who should attend the course?
If you are working in a confined space which may require you to use an escape breathing apparatus. If you have to enter the space using *manual or mechanical access equipment.
The tutor will also assign delegates who are positioned outside of the confined space with responsibilities. They will have assigned responsibilities for dealing with an emergency and controlling the entry. The course is also suitable for those who conduct this role.
*Manual or mechanical access –
Horizontally entering a confined space by walking or climbing or working away from the vertical entry with restricted use of a rescue line.
To vertically enter a confined space using a man-riding winch or ladder where both operatives will need assisted rescue and fall protection.
The course aims to provide the delegate with improved knowledge of:
- Preparing to work in a Medium Risk confined space safely
- Entering and exiting a Medium Risk confined space safely
- The preparation and use of escape breathing apparatus
- Using tools and equipment safely
- Following work and procedures in a safe manner
- How to deal with an emergency
- Behaving properly when working in confined spaces
- The legislation surrounding work in a confined space
- Applying your knowledge of confined spaces into your work
What does the Medium Risk Confined Spaces course cover?
The course will cover the following topics:
- The definition of a confined space
- The definition of Water UK NC1- NC4 classifications
- What are Low, Medium and High-Risk environments?
- Regulations – preventing the need for entry
- Risk Assessments and hazard identification
- Atmospheric gases and hazards
- Principles and use of gas detectors
- Safe systems to work and permits to work
- The duties of a top man/bottom man
- Adjusting, correct donning and pre-use checking of a harness
- Inspecting tripods, fall arrest equipment and winches
- Using and inspecting personal escape breathing apparatus
What is Required to Pass the Medium Risk Confined Spaces Course?
The tutor will assess the delegates on how their competency. To pass the course the delegate will need to have a direct observation of them entering a Medium Risk confined space and complete a written examination.