CITB Accredited Courses
The CITB SMSTS course can be delivered on a weekly or day release basis. It is more in-depth than the (SSSTS) and demonstrates how to meet the demand for good health and safety management on site.
How long is the SMSTS course?
Who should attend the SMSTS?
Project Managers, Site Managers and Supervisors, proprietors of small to medium-sized companies, client-based personnel
Is the SMSTS course accredited?
When does my SMSTS certificate expire?
Five years ( you will need to attend an SMSTS Refresher)
Is this course CITB Grant claimable?
You can claim up to £120 as long as you provide us with your CITB Levy number either at the time of booking or on the day of the course.
There are no formal entry requirements for the course. However, delegates must hold, or be about to hold, the role of a construction manager. The main requirement is that the delegate can speak, understand and write well in English. Photographic ID and the delegates national insurance number must be provided on the first day of the course.
By the end of the course, the delegate will have a greater knowledge of:
- The Health and Safety at Work Act and CDM Regulations 2015
- Site set-up
- Risk assessments/method statements
- Working at height
- The health and safety implications of working with scaffolding, electricity, excavations, demolition and confined spaces
- Any recent changes in accepted working practices and behavioural safety
To find out the further benefits of the course, you can visit our blog here.
The content covered by the course includes:
- An initiation to health and safety law and the duties, responsibilities and sanctions surrounding it
- Explanation and overviews of construction legislation
- The procedure of an accident occurring on site and the process following the accident
- Risk assessments
- Managing contractors
- Management of health
- Development of permit systems and safe systems of work
- Communicating effectively
- Awareness of human error
- Motivating staff
- Awareness of an organisation’s responsibilities and duties
- Recognising the responsibility of the workforce
- The safe system of work production
- Planning health and safety for projects
What is Required to Pass the CITB SMSTS Course?
This course is assessed throughout the training. On the last day, you must display a presentation in front of other group members. You will also complete an examination.
The SMSTS certificate must be renewed every five years by attending the SMSTS Refresher course. Further qualifications include the NEBOSH Construction Certificate and the NVQ Level 6 Diploma in Construction Site Management. For more information on how do to become a Site Manager take a look at our blog here.