Which CSCS Card Should I Apply For?

Are you looking to apply for a CSCS Card? 

Take a look below at the different types of CSCS card available, who they are for and how to get them.

Labourer (Green Card)

CITB Health & Safety AwarenessThe Green Labourer Card is the basic CSCS card you will need to gain to get on a construction site.  To obtain the card you must pass the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test in the last 2 years and complete one of the below level 1 classroom courses.

The Green Labourer CSCS card is valid for 5 years and once it has expired must be renewed.

Apprentice Card

Red CSCS CardIf you are enrolled on to a recognised apprenticeship, this card is applicable to you. The card cannot be renewed once obtained and has a lifespan of 4 years and 6 months. To apply for the card you must provide CSCS with proof of your apprenticeship and complete the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test. You may be exempt from taking the test if you have already completed the CITB Health and Safety Awareness.

Experienced Technical, Supervisor or Manager Card

Red CSCS CardTo obtain this card you need to fall under the following criteria:

  • Must not have achieved an NVQ Level 3, 4 or 5
  • Must not have achieved an NVQ Level 6 or 7
  • On the job experience as a Supervisor or Manager
  • Not a member of a Professional Body
  • Must be enrolled on to a Construction NVQ

After 3 years the card expires and is then unrenewable. You will only hold the card temporarily whilst you complete your NVQ. Depending on the level of your occupation you should take the relevant test. Find out which test you should take here.

Experienced Worker Card

Red CSCS CardTo gain this card you need to be enrolled on to a Construction NVQ Level 2 or above and have on the job experience. After one year the card will expire and cannot be renewed. You must also complete the relevant CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test depending on the level of your occupation.

Trainee Card

Red CSCS CardIf you are a trainee and are enrolled on to a qualification that will lead to a skilled CSCS card (most commonly NVQ) this is the card for you. The below qualifications WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED:

You also must complete the relevant CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test. The card is valid for 5 years and once expired cannot be renewed.

Skilled Worker (Blue Card)

Blue Skilled Worker CSCS Card To be applicable to the Blue Skilled Worker Card you must have completed an NVQ Level 2 in your field and have passed the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test.

The Skilled Worker card expires after 5 years.

Advanced Craft Card

Gold CSCS CardTo obtain the Advanced Craft CSCS card you must have achieved a Level 3 NVQ or higher in your job role.  You must have also completed the relevant CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test for your level of occupation. Advanced Card applicants would in most cases take the Operative or the Specialist Test.

Supervisory (Gold Card)

Gold CSCS CardThe Gold Supervisors card is designed for those who are completing a Construction Related NVQ Levels 3 or 4 in Site Supervision. You must also pass the Supervisors CITB Health, Safety & Environment Test.

The card is valid for 5 years then needs to be renewed.

Manager (Black Card)

NVQ Level 6If you are in a management role in the construction industry, this is the relevant CSCS card to you. You will obtain the card upon completion of a Level 5, 6 or 7 Construction Management NVQ. The card is also applicable if you currently hold a pre-existing Level 4 Construction Management NVQ. You are required to pass the  CITB Managers and Professionals Health, Safety and Environment Test to get this card.

The Manager card needs to be renewed after 5 years.

Academically Qualified Person (White Card)

NEBOSH Construction CertificateTo apply for this card you need to provide CSCS with a copy of the relevant construction degree/certificate. To find out which qualifications are relevant, take a look here.

You also need to complete the CITB Managers and Professionals Health, Safety and Environment Test which is valid for 5 years.

Construction Site Visitor Card

CONSTRUCTION SITE VISITORNewly issued visitor cards have a fixed expiry date of 31st August 2020. CSCS will stop issuing the card from 28th February 2020.

If you regularly visit a construction site and don’t hold a specific construction related skill, you need a Site Visitors Card. Although you are a visitor on site, the Site Manager is still obliged to ensure that you are safe on site. You are also still required to complete the CITB Operatives Health, Safety and Environment Test.

The card’s lifespan is 5 years and once it expires needs to be renewed.

Professionally Qualified Person Card

NEBOSH Construction CertificateYour card will last 5 years and can be renewed by supplying CSCS with a letter from your professional body confirming your membership.

Provisional Card

Red CSCS CardYou are only suitable to apply for a provisional card is you have never held a CSCS card before.  Typical candidates for this card would be those who are working through a probationary period in their occupation or are undergoing work experience on site.

To gain the card you need to complete the CITB Health, Safety and Environment test.  The card is valid for 6 months and cannot be renewed. If you hold this card you must also ensure that you are enrolled onto a relevant construction qualification and have applied for the relevant CSCS card.


Trainee (craft and operative) Card / Trainee (technical, supervisory and management) Card

Red CSCS CardBoth cards stopped being issued by CSCS in August 2016. If you are a Trainee you will need to apply for the Trainee Card (see above).

Construction Site Operative Card (CSO)

CITB Health & Safety AwarenessThe old CSCS Green Card stopped being issued in July 2014. If you are a previous holder of this card and need to renew; you will now need to apply for the Green Labourer Card. Find out how here.

Construction Related Occupation Card (CRO)

NEBOSH Construction CertificateThe CRO card stopped being issued in April 2017. The card was designed for those who didn’t fall under any other CSCS Card category. If your CRO card is set to expire you will need to use the CSCS card finder to see which card you need to apply for is. Find out more here.

What is a EUSR Card?

The EUSR Card is the CPCS, CSCS equivalent for utility workers. Find out more about the card here.

Back to News View Our Courses

Courses Running Soon


Location: Wednesbury

Date: 19 Sep 2019

£225.00 + VAT £189.00 + VAT

Only 3 places left!

Join Our Mailing List

Join Our Mailing List

By joining our mailing list you will receive updates about our new services.

Your Name*
Company Name
Email Address*